gas tank issues...again - Page 78
Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 286869707172737475767778
Results 1,541 to 1,551 of 1551
    Tweaker of Things

Default Re: gas tank issues...again

The tank is not swelling due to ethanol. There have been swollen tanks on bikes in countries without ethanol. And non-swollen tanks in countries with ethanol.

Chalk it off to the other gas additives and poorly applied liner seal.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Bum Fukc ......... Out Beyond the Pyramids

Quote Originally Posted by ifsixwasnine View Post
    Haven't had any tank problems so far(08 model) and a local guy here had an 09 model and never had the issue either...New Zealand climate?
    I did however snap the screws on my swingarm shaft today,but that's for another day...
    Please tell us more about this.............
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    The tank is not swelling due to ethanol. There have been swollen tanks on bikes in countries without ethanol. And non-swollen tanks in countries with ethanol.

Chalk it off to the other gas additives and poorly applied liner seal.

I did wonder if it's where they got hot, because I noticed a few complained it happened after being on a dyno ?

Motorcycle Enthusiast and Cheeseburger Aficionado

Wow, this thread I started is 10 years old today! I've had my third tank for quite a few years now. Although it also swelled up a little bit right away, it's much less than my other tanks. The gap is not that bad, and it sits flat because I previously cut the tabs off my cover. So the third time was a charm, mostly. It's has stayed the same all these years.
    Can this thread go for another 10 years? Probably not, unless Harley makes more XR's.

IMG_2330.jpg
    Steve.
    2009 XR1200
    2012 Super Tenere

My hovercraft is full of eels

Dang that's a sweet-looking bike. Is that a 17" front?
    Ride to eat, eat to ride

Motorcycle Enthusiast and Cheeseburger Aficionado

Thanks.
    Yes, it's the 17" Marchesini wheel, with EBC rotors and a Vance and Hines fiberglass fender. All those parts are much lighter, and in my opinion the best mod I did. Makes a big difference.
    Steve.
    2009 XR1200
    2012 Super Tenere

Master of Space and Time

Quote Originally Posted by motostevie View Post
    Wow, this thread I started is 10 years old today! I've had my third tank for quite a few years now. Although it also swelled up a little bit right away, it's much less than my other tanks. The gap is not that bad, and it sits flat because I previously cut the tabs off my cover. So the third time was a charm, mostly. It's has stayed the same all these years. Can this thread go for another 10 years? Probably not, unless Harley makes more XR's. IMG_2330.jpg
    Nice looking Hot Rod !

Raised by Wolves

A common Theme from th KTM forum.Hers what a Member found out and i hope deepl translator works well.

Hello everybody

I can contribute the following to this topic

a tank is "blown", i.e. a hose running permanently from an extrusion head runs into a mould ...there it is enclosed and closed at the bottom

a blow pin comes from above and blows the hose to the inside of the mould..mould is water cooled ...mould opens tank is stripped and is roughly finished.

In the extrusion head, the main mat. is fed from behind by the main extruder ...the satellite extruders come from the sides.

With this type of extrusion a high proportion of regranulate is extruded in ...this is "used granulate" and only a small proportion of virgin granulate (new)

with each type of this extrusion, a so-called coextrusion is produced via the satellite extruders. layer is extruded into the tank via the satellite extruder. DH. the tank consists of several layers,

a junction ; coex. ( inner layer ) which prevents diffusion of the contents to the outside or into the carrier layers.

If this layer is missing or is not thick enough (several 0,1mm) there can be problems. Since plastic... PA - PP -HDPE -LDPE absorb moisture, they can swell

therefore the plastic mass is dehumidified before processing in dryers.

so now a conclusion ..a tank swells up, was extremely saved during the processing and it is no longer safe. The QS saws up a few tanks in each layer and measures all layers

...according to the quality assurance manual.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by Houseyhousey View Post
    I did wonder if it's where they got hot, because I noticed a few complained it happened after being on a dyno ?
    It has happened in countries that never get hot. And people in very hot areas have tanks that don't swell.
    Life is dangerous! The more you are living it, the more dangerous it is!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

Raised by Wolves

Its just an XR1200 'thing' - call it character, or maybe something the manufacturer didn't get just right, a decade on and it doesn't seem to matter too much anymore and certainly doesn't spoil what is otherwise a splendid motorcycle.

Master of Space and Time

^ I agree.