Sump oil! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sump oil!

The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed.

Scotty - my bike was upright as I always do the oil change on the Lift. It is clamped by the front wheel, so there still is some forward rake to it.

So if you got 3.5 litres total, and the manual says it should be 2.6 litres, it would seem that yours is always carrying some oil in the sump (maybe many of them do, doesn't seem likely though), it is overfilled compared to what Harley says (also not likely since I know you know how to check the oil between changes) or the manual is just plain wrong (not hard to believe)

I wonder if someone with a 2012 manual and or service book can check to see what the capacity says, in case it was a mistake and they caught it and updated the info.

Seems a bit of a mystery.
    My Hope is to arrive at my Death Late, in Love, and a Little bit Drunk

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

It aint no good locking the doors, when the madness is coming from inside your house.

It states in the manuel that "oil collected in the sump is splash feed to the pistons,cylinder walls and fly wheel components" I can only assume that this is picked up by the the flywheels and flicked up around the crank cases, for that to happen there will have to be a decent amount of oil down there to be picked up by the flywheels?
    So if you look at these picks I would expect between 1 and 1/2 a litre to be sitting down there?

cases 1.JPG

cases 2.JPG

The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed.

It's funny that this would be the case, making this a "Semi Dry Sump" system, and they wouldn't make a provision for draining all the oil. I would think looking at that picture that it would only take 1/2 quart max to do what they are looking for.

The ironic thing is the main reason Dry Sump systems exist is to stop the windage of oil from the crank which causes drag and reduces horsepower - that is why you generally only see it in race vehicles. It supports my theory that Harley only does it to make the motor shorter than it would be with a conventional wet sump.
    My Hope is to arrive at my Death Late, in Love, and a Little bit Drunk

It aint no good locking the doors, when the madness is coming from inside your house.

I just took another look at what I have in the container from the sump, it is actually 0.7 (0.73Qts) of a litre not as I had said earlier 1 litre.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Very interesting. I won't be doing an oil change for about 6 weeks. I will take that plug out and post how much oil is in the sump.
    Biking and Sledding since 1968.
    2010 XR1200. Fast Orange, of course.
    2004 Arctic Cat KingCat 900-162.
    2006 Suzuki 1200 Bandit.

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Focchi View Post
    Browsing one Brazillian HD forum I participate, I found this link posted earlier this morning.

A big coincidence... http://shop.roguechopper.com/

Regards, Focchi.
    Hi all, I emailed the guy at the Rogue Chopper, and here is the answer:

"Andre,

The RC130 for 88-03 sportsters will work you just have to identify the return line and install the T fitting in that. I do not have directions for the 2009 XR1200.

Thank you,

Philip LaFleur
    Rogue Chopper
    Box 763
    N. Scituate, MA 02060
    866-877-6483
    "

Do you know this product? I promises to put out all the dirt oil from the engine... Hope it helps.

Regards, Focchi.

Well, today it was due for it's service. I could not get the plug out with that crossmember in the way. I tried to drill a hole in the crossmember, but laying on my back, I drilled off center. The shop I work at was closing, so I had to give up. I will get the plug out to see how much oil is in there. I think that I will remove the crossmember and put 2 new braces on the frame, on each side of the original.
    2006 Suzuki 1200 Bandit.

I'm glad you posted Ancient Sledder, I forgot about this.

Since i last posted on this thread a friend (not a forum member) brought his XR round and I dropped his oil from the oil tank, it was at top mark on the dipstick and was just after stopping the motor, 2.8 Litres. I then dropped the oil from the sump which was 300ml so including the oil from the oil tank and sump we got 3.1 Litres (0.81 US Gallons\3.27 US Quarts)
    So it look like the sump on a totally stock XR carries 300ml/0.31 Quarts.

No problem, Scotty. It bothers me that not all the oil is being changed at the service. I WILL get that plug out and modify what is needed to make it a full oil change. I really appreciate that you let us know about this.
    2006 Suzuki 1200 Bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Sledder View Post
    No problem, Scotty. It bothers me that not all the oil is being changed at the service. I WILL get that plug out and modify what is needed to make it a full oil change. I really appreciate that you let us know about this.
    No problem.

I agree with you, I dont like the idea of that being down there either and its only a couple of minutes to drop it out, especially if you drill a hole so you can get the Allen key up there

Habitual Linestepper

Default Re: Sump oil!

Did I miss something - what size is the Allen key?
    I ‘m only asking because I’m old and want to limit the times I have get down on my knees like a Beagle screwing a football.
    Thanks in advance.

Figures - not paying attention - old post. I‘ll get used to this forum yet.

Tweaker of Things

Default Re: Sump oil!

It's not a lot of oil in the sump - if you change the oil warm after shutting down the bike.

No reason to touch this plug unless you are OC (like some of us).
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12