Votes: 77 21.0%
  • 70+, but under 80.

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • 80+. I'll be dead soon.

Votes: 1 0.3%

Age Thread

728K views 720 replies 263 participants last post by  raven 
#1 ·
I'm betting the average age of XR Owners is in the 50s.

#608 ·
It's interesting the reaction I get from the people I get it from. Millenials and younger people who have already written off Harley see it and it sparks their interest. I get a lot of comments like "woah, what Harley is that?" or "I didn't know Harley made something like that" from younger people. They like it, hence why I think Indian is building the FTR1200 now. There seems to be a trend for these kind of bikes happening now. I have a feeling Harley will be building something similar soon.

#611 ·
Well, in a few days I'll be 80, so this will probably be my last post. Apparently, according to the caption, I'll be dead soon. I still have things to do, places to be, so I'd better keep moving and maybe I'll be able to squeeze a bit more time in. I used to say it as a joke, but now it's not funny at all.....so many bikes, so little time.....++

#617 ·
Mike, I have few enough highlights in my riding career, so it's good of you to remind me of my low-lights. If I ever did this extravaganza again, I would think my XR would be bad ju-ju, so I would be showing up with some reinforcements like ABS, traction control, lean-angle ABS, etc.

Harry, as you said that day, you were trying to use what you had been taught. And not sure any of those accessories would have kept you up. Just like Bruce's, gravel don't play nice. Trust me I've had a few moments up there and Magoo had been behind me at least twice, hence his accelerated greyness over the last few years. Even last year, I tried to swap ends a couple of times, one on the Blue Ridge that Bruce admired from behind. Was due to probably to many heat cycles on my tires, conclusion from a couple of the guys after we discussed it. The tires looked great as far as thread. But whatever you ride come down this year, you know it's not the speed but the ride and bs'ing thats the real fun.

#625 ·
he is going to college and his pockets are not deep enough for an XR - an M2 Cyclone or XB9 or XB12 will be more within his budget - unless he continues to borrow my XR - my youngest will turn 18 this summer and he is already begging me to let him ride the XR - as others have said - the XR does appeal to younger riders

#634 ·
Hey Geno, you seem to be the guy who has assumed the mantle of "Age Poll Tweaker", so I'm giving you fair warning..................I plan to be still riding at 90, and I'll give you lots of notice so you can re-draw the upper limits. :clap:

My current plan is to trade the KTM 1290 GT together with the Ninja 1000 SX for a Kawasaki H2 SX SE

I think an XR and an H2 would be an excellent stable, kind of a yin/yang or alpha/omega, simplicity/complexity, etc., etc.

That should keep me amused till I hit 90................++

#637 ·
I read this a few days ago.... I guess I am in the same age bucket that the article indicates - not surprising I guess according to this thread - most of us fit in this age bucket.... https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/<wbr>25/actually-young-people-<wbr>really-could-kill-harley-<wbr>davidson.html

Thoughts to ponder...... is it really millennials? I remember even when I was younger and started riding street bikes in the early 80's - a cheap, economical reliable mode of transportation was my interest too. My 19 yr old son - loves my XR - but he can not afford one - a metric bike is more in his price range or an earlier Buell. While I might fit in the age bucket - I am not yet ready for putting around on a heavy weight bike - yes our XR's are heavy - but handle like a much lighter bike.

I think good news for HD is not only the new bikes they are introducing to try and capture younger riders - but I was watching the Aspen X-Games yesterday - HD is sponsoring some skiers and the HD advertisements were all over the mountains (along with Jeep and others) This I think a great step in HD marketing. I even saw a youtube video on FB the other day with one of these guys with a modified HD with a paddle tire on the back racing up a snow covered mountain - reminiscent of the old days of the popularity of hill climb bikes.

#643 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.