XR1200 Owners Group banner

Pictures of XR Race Bikes

28K views 225 replies 26 participants last post by  MadDogXR 
#1 ·
It’s been said that it would be good if shots of race bikes were in one thread so they don’t get lost with lots of other pics. I luuuuv the race bikes. The V&H series bikes were limited to certain mods but the bikes from other series were less confined and had room for handlebar changes and such.
In action or static here’s a place to put race bike pics. I’ll start with a couple favorites.

Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle Automotive tire

Helmet Tire Wheel Sports gear Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Helmet

Wheel Tire Helmet Sports gear Motorcycle helmet

See less See more
#126 ·
That's a great picture from Cadwell Park in 2010, in the middle of the pack in black is guest rider Guy Martin on the number 1 H-D UK machine.

Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle helmet Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Helmet Automotive tire

This event hosted 3 Harley Davidson Trophy races and Guy finished a creditable 8th 6th and 7th.

It was his first time back on a bike after his horrific 170mph crash at the Isle of Man TT a few months before.

Motor vehicle Tire Natural environment Asphalt Fire

#127 ·
That's a great picture from Cadwell Park in 2010, in the middle of the pack in black is guest rider Guy Martin on the number 1 H-D UK machine.

View attachment 249846

View attachment 249847

This event hosted 3 Harley Davidson Trophy races and Guy finished a creditable 8th 6th and 7th.

It was his first time back on a bike after his horrific 170mph crash at the Isle of Man TT a few months before.

View attachment 249845
Would love to hear what Guy had to say about the XR!

#140 ·
No offense to the writer but it seems like he’s a little overweight. Look at the rear shock springs???

#141 ·
He's wound the spring adjusting collar right down for some reason, no static sag and a stiff ride, not sure why you would do that unless you like riding hardtails.

Just had another look and noticed the spring is shorter than usual, might explain why the collar is low down on the shock. I can count 10 coils, mine have 13 coils.

#142 ·
Does the angle of the shift arm seems rather high or not? Still fine tuning my new Sato Rearsets, so I’ll adjust the shifter a little higher and see.

#145 · (Edited)
Wonder if the lettering on his helmet ("Quaid") is his name?

J.
Yes Its Brandon Quaid, He must own the race team (Quaid Racing Team) as he entered 3 other Harley's in the Super Hooligans race, numbers 189, 666 and 951
Also bike number 112 was entered by Shred Moto Racing / Quaid Racing Team
Bike number 407 was entered by Warriorbuilt / Quaid Harley-Davidson

Edited to add it would appear Brandon Quaid has a dealership, Quaid Harley-Davidson, Loma Linda, California.

#148 ·
@ytman
I love that lean angle almost as much as I love the left hand on the left fork tube tuck on the straights.

#152 ·
View attachment 251256

From Indy, MotoGP weekend 2011. 63 looks like it was Pete Demas although I had to look that up, I don't recall meeting him. Love the paintjob!
Original skinny spark plug wires and front brake rotors? Gilles Rearsets with the included side cover too. 17” front wheel too.

#157 ·
It does look like Shelina's purple bike for sure, although I don't seem to have any pics of that one sadly....
You like to see in garages, eh Skiddy? Here are some from Indianapolis 2012. The XR series ran with MotoGP so basically all the attention was on MotoGP. The XR pits were wide open all weekend and the riders and crews couldn't have been any cooler. I was still pretty new to the forum/community back then but met up with several folks from the board to go to the races - good times!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

M.O.B. racing pits & umbrella gals. In the rear is bike 99 ridden by current MotoAmerica competitor PJ Jacobson who, if memory serves, dominated the weekend, winning one race and breaking down while leading the other. At least that happened one year, not 100% sure that was 2012

Tire Glasses Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

Forum member SiloPete (to the right) fell and broke his collarbone. A bunch of forum members supported him and that was really great. His crew (the two middle guys) was composed of US military combat vets and he still runs that program (VETMotorsports) although I feel like it's mostly cars these days. The goofy guy on the far left is me.

Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive lighting

Paul James' race bike. He is a member here too, and a great Twitter follow!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Benny Carlson's bikes I think? He's had success in other classes and supermoto since those heady xr1200 days

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

^ This bike seems uh, a little less finished then most of the others. Maybe the rain tire is left over from a slippery day and this one hit the deck?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

-30-

#156 · (Edited)
Look how far to the right Kyle is looking past the exit of that corner, or into the next corner. He is already there before he gets there. Awesome!!!

Who can name that track and corner? I can’t, but a wild guess would be New Jersey Motorsports Park??? I wish I would have seen some of the XR1200 Races.

#158 ·
Looks like the XR AMA Series vented front number plates for the oil coolers, are different than UK and Canada? Some slots run East/West on the bottom of the plate and others run North/South Through the middle of the plate. Different suppler for oil cooler kits?

Reactions: Skiddy
#159 ·
Different suppler for oil cooler kits?
The uk bikes used the original cooler but its vertical location was dictated by the Harris yokes/triple trees which included the mounting posts. This steering set up is adjustable for rake and has the steering damper mounting incorporated in the casting. It's a beautiful set of components but was expensive. I wonder how much of an advantage it was in terms of performance compared with the AMA bikes? That's a question for Jeremy McWilliams and Darren James who raced both sides of the Atlantic.

I'm loving all the pit pics by the way!

Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle Cloud