XR1200 Owners Group banner

Oil Leaks

16K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  magicrat 
G
#1 ·
I have a quick question for you guys, has anyone else had oil leaks out of their XR's. I only ask because I am now on my second time of it doing this. The first time it wasn't such a huge deal it was only the thermostat and and some of the lines out of the tank, now its those lines again the right side where that engine and tranny meet and the rear cylinder rocker box. I just wondering if anybody else has had any similar problems?

#4 ·
Oil Leak

I had a severe oil leak from new. Lost more than a litre during the 500-mile ride from the dealership. The leak continued whenever the engine was warmed on longer or hard rides.
As per usual it is often hard to identify exactly where the leak is coming from. It ended up being a kinked vent hose. An easy fix. I received this info from HD Australia.

XR 1200 Transmission Vent Hose Routing
Some early 2009 XR 1200 models could have a kinked transmission vent hose
under the starter motor.
If this line is restricted in any way, it is possible for oil to be forced out of the
primary area at the clutch cable adjuster as the air from inside the transmission /
primary case expands with temperature.
To correct this, simply direct the end of the hose downward between the starter
motor and primary case. It may be necessary to rotate the hose and clamp on
the transmission vent fitting to ensure that the hose does not contact the rear
cylinder cooling fins.

It could be it. All the best.
marx

G
#18 ·
< color="black">Have a 2010 with 220 miles. Been leaking since day one from the lower, right side. I thought it was the rear oil line 1" fitting at the bottom of the motor, near the transmission. Took it to the dealer, at first, they were thinking possibly clutch. Now, they are replacing the oil pump. Seems like they are "throwing darts and parts" at the leak. Once I know, I'll let you know.

G
#6 ·
I already had the bike at the dealer to fix the leaks I had from the rocker covers.
Well the rear on is ok now but the front one leaked again..and now it's getting worse...the pics are after a hot 150km ride...
I think they just changed the gaskets but that's not enough to solve the prob...maybe there is some powdercoating left on the sealing surfaces...I'm still thinking about it as if I should do it myself or give them the bike again...after all it's still under warranty...

sure thing it's a freakin mess:

#7 ·
oh oh

Benny, it looks like (in addition to rocker box leaks) you have a blown head gasket on your front cylinder....could just be the photo though....

#9 ·
I checked and my oil leaks are on back order. I changed my zip code on the order so I hope they won't arrive. Oil leaks are :001_9898:! :censored: Later,

#11 ·
Naalb

Sorry Dude but mine is leak free ORANGE. I guess it doesn't want to mar that fast color. I'll make no comments on your color because I don't want any hassle from the NAALB. Thats National Association Against Leaking Bikes. LOL I guess it's best to be politically correct. :innocent: Later,

G
#12 ·
Should of got back to guys sooner but I have been enjoying the weather that MN is getting so far this year after being without my bike for a week and a half. So the break down got just about every seal, it was a a long list of warrantied items, replaced along with the thermostat at the dealership. So far about 200 miles or 361.88 km leak free. And less oil = less weight which = faster right?

#14 ·
Since the day I got it I had a leak from the shift shaft and from the right side where the oil cooler line goes up into the engine. Took it in, they fixed the shift shaft, didn't have the right tools for the right side fittings?. Took it back in a month or so later, they said the o-ring in the line had been kinked on original installation, and the o-rings listed in the computer do not match what is on the bike-thought they found the right one. Got it back, took it for 100 mile ride and it leaked like a sieve from the lines at the bottom of the oil cooler on the left side, but not on the right anymore. In frustration they pulled the whole cooler assembly from one of their new bikes and installed it. I am taking it on a 200+ mile ride today, and hopefully it is fixed. I love the bike, but I am not impressed with the leaks. 1st H-D, and likely my last if any more issues.

#15 ·
My fast orange bike leaks like it has the e-bola virus with a side of malaria. Both rockers, cooler lines and now a leak where the starter meets the engine. 2800 miles, goes to the hospital Wednesday.

Back when I was a BMW bike tech, I used to tell people, "Harley's don't leak oil, BMW's leak oil." Looks like I won't be using that line again. :whistling:

At least, unlike a BMW, I can see the oil leak. The first indication of the leak on the BMW usually came when the rear main oiled up the dry clutch while you were on a road trip.

#20 ·
So what's the deal with all the leaks? Is this something that's not uncommon with the Evo engines? I ask because I've owned 8 TC Harleys and not one of them ever leaked. Does Harley utilize less skilled labor for their Sportster assembly line?

Between these reports of leaks and the gas tanks getting hard-ons, I'm getting nervous pulling the trigger on an XR. (I have until August 24 before I have to commit a deposit to get an order placed for Nov. delivery.)

#21 ·
Poor initial quality control.... about the worst I've ever experienced in 35 yrs of owning bikes.

I've had a bunch of problems in the first 5k (oil leaks, oil consumption, fried rotors, etc) but no problems in the last 10k since. In fact a number of the smaller oil weepings and exhaust leaks have actually sealed themselves up!

#22 ·
Got an orange one with about 2,500 miles on it. Has recently developed a light misting around the cam covers joint (all bolts are tight) and a slight bit of staining around the outermost of the two head bolts on the front and rear cylinders (front bolt on front cyl and rear bolt on rear cyl). Used to have a late 70's Bonnie that leaked all over the place, so these traces are just amusing at present.

G
#29 ·
e\y
Bike just back from Roanoke HD. They have now replaced the oil pump housing (after cooler line o-rings, thermostat replacement, pump housing gasket replacement). HD engineer said it was housing porousity...sure enough. The dealership personnel showed me a pin hole in the casting at the oil out fitting. 200 miles are the bike snce fixed...no leak. Call customer service and ask them to reference my bike completed on 8/29/2010 at Roanoke HD if you have issues.

#30 ·
Both Geno and I have noticed oil 'weeping' out around the breather at the top of the valve cover(or whatever the heck it's called on a freaking HD). We also both feel it's not something that'll ever go away, so neither of us are gonna have it fixed. IOO, it's simply a bad design from the get-go(SHOCKING!:clap:), in that the breather/hose isn't sufficient in diameter to adequately discharge CC pressure quick enough. Doesn't appear to be a problem if you stay away from the upper revs, where CC pressure is highest.

#31 ·
Anybody seen this type of leak effect?

I've got a leak of something from somewhere..............?:(
The bike is about four months old, uses about a pint per 1k miles, has done about 8.5k miles
It's sticky and doesn't wash off easily with SDOC100 or Muc-Off. It was suggested that it was assembly grease a couple of weeks back:confused:
It looks and smells like oil but seems too thick & sticky:001_9898:?
It's off to dealers tomorrow afternoon, I wonder what they'll give me to play with this week
Anyway here's a few photos.

Attachments

#33 ·
It's thick and sticky because it is cooked on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.