had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

Habitual Linestepper

Default had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

shift lever arm came loose (aftermarket) and fell off while i was headed home. stuck in fifth gear so when i gt off the interstate i had to go about a mile on city streets. ended up having to stop at three lights and taking off in 5th gear. yesterday i got my replacemnt arm and used red loctite on the screws. while riding around last night i noticed while in 5th on the interstate i cracked the throttle and it revved up but only accelerated slightly then the revs dropped off and it slowly accelerated. other gears it pulls fine.

is it worst case on my clutch? how much is a replacement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed.

Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

Yep sounds like you smoked the clutch. Cost will vary depending if you want stock parts or upgrade to Screamin Eagle, Barnett, or Evolution. There are threads on here about others experience.
    My Hope is to arrive at my Death Late, in Love, and a Little bit Drunk

WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by majette View Post
    shift lever arm came loose (aftermarket) and fell off while i was headed home. stuck in fifth gear so when i gt off the interstate i had to go about a mile on city streets. ended up having to stop at three lights and taking off in 5th gear. yesterday i got my replacemnt arm and used red loctite on the screws. while riding around last night i noticed while in 5th on the interstate i cracked the throttle and it revved up but only accelerated slightly then the revs dropped off and it slowly accelerated. other gears it pulls fine.

If it is only doing it in 5th, you have just mildly toasted your clutch. You could probably get several more miles out of it with a Screamin' Eagle clutch spring. But unless you have the tools and aptitude to do it yourself, you may as well let a mechanic change your entire clutch.

I did mine for $15 and the clutch is actually stronger than the day I bought it new. But I also had to fabricate a tool to R and R the spring.
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    East San Diego County - Out Beyond the Pyramids

Quote Originally Posted by majette View Post

Which aftermarket shifter do you have?
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

Habitual Linestepper

Quote Originally Posted by geno View Post
    Which aftermarket shifter do you have?
    sato racing

Habitual Linestepper

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogXR View Post
    If it is only doing it in 5th, you have just mildly toasted your clutch. You could probably get several more miles out of it with a Screamin' Eagle clutch spring. But unless you have the tools and aptitude to do it yourself, you may as well let a mechanic change your entire clutch.

I did mine for $15 and the clutch is actually stronger than the day I bought it new. But I also had to fabricate a tool to R and R the spring.
    still have the tool? care to share it and the steps to doing the spring? i can pay for shipping both ways unless it is an easy tool to fabricate, i have a buddy that cam probably make one.

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogXR View Post

+1

I could not find a SE spring without the entire clutch kit, but did find a Barrnett MT-81 spring plate. Works awesome, clutch never better. FYi ... pic of home made tool
    clutch tool.jpg