had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Habitual Linestepper
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    25

    Default had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    shift lever arm came loose (aftermarket) and fell off while i was headed home. stuck in fifth gear so when i gt off the interstate i had to go about a mile on city streets. ended up having to stop at three lights and taking off in 5th gear. yesterday i got my replacemnt arm and used red loctite on the screws. while riding around last night i noticed while in 5th on the interstate i cracked the throttle and it revved up but only accelerated slightly then the revs dropped off and it slowly accelerated. other gears it pulls fine.

    is it worst case on my clutch? how much is a replacement?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange, So CAL
    Posts
    18,609

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    Yep sounds like you smoked the clutch. Cost will vary depending if you want stock parts or upgrade to Screamin Eagle, Barnett, or Evolution. There are threads on here about others experience.
    My Hope is to arrive at my Death Late, in Love, and a Little bit Drunk

  4. #3
    WTF???
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    15,273

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    Quote Originally Posted by majette View Post
    shift lever arm came loose (aftermarket) and fell off while i was headed home. stuck in fifth gear so when i gt off the interstate i had to go about a mile on city streets. ended up having to stop at three lights and taking off in 5th gear. yesterday i got my replacemnt arm and used red loctite on the screws. while riding around last night i noticed while in 5th on the interstate i cracked the throttle and it revved up but only accelerated slightly then the revs dropped off and it slowly accelerated. other gears it pulls fine.

    is it worst case on my clutch? how much is a replacement?
    If it is only doing it in 5th, you have just mildly toasted your clutch. You could probably get several more miles out of it with a Screamin' Eagle clutch spring. But unless you have the tools and aptitude to do it yourself, you may as well let a mechanic change your entire clutch.

    I did mine for $15 and the clutch is actually stronger than the day I bought it new. But I also had to fabricate a tool to R and R the spring.
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

    2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

    1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

  5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    I got no friends 'cause they read the papers, they can't be seen, with me.........
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East San Diego County - Out Beyond the Pyramids
    Posts
    11,116

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    Quote Originally Posted by majette View Post
    shift lever arm came loose (aftermarket) and fell off while i was headed home. stuck in fifth gear so when i gt off the interstate i had to go about a mile on city streets. ended up having to stop at three lights and taking off in 5th gear. yesterday i got my replacemnt arm and used red loctite on the screws. while riding around last night i noticed while in 5th on the interstate i cracked the throttle and it revved up but only accelerated slightly then the revs dropped off and it slowly accelerated. other gears it pulls fine.

    is it worst case on my clutch? how much is a replacement?
    Which aftermarket shifter do you have?
    Forecast for Tonioght: ALCOHOL,
    Low Standards and Poor Decisions

  7. #5
    Habitual Linestepper
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    Quote Originally Posted by geno View Post
    Which aftermarket shifter do you have?
    sato racing

  8. #6
    Habitual Linestepper
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadDogXR View Post
    If it is only doing it in 5th, you have just mildly toasted your clutch. You could probably get several more miles out of it with a Screamin' Eagle clutch spring. But unless you have the tools and aptitude to do it yourself, you may as well let a mechanic change your entire clutch.

    I did mine for $15 and the clutch is actually stronger than the day I bought it new. But I also had to fabricate a tool to R and R the spring.
    still have the tool? care to share it and the steps to doing the spring? i can pay for shipping both ways unless it is an easy tool to fabricate, i have a buddy that cam probably make one.

  9. #7
    Raised by Wolves
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadDogXR View Post

    I did mine for $15 and the clutch is actually stronger than the day I bought it new. But I also had to fabricate a tool to R and R the spring.
    +1

    I could not find a SE spring without the entire clutch kit, but did find a Barrnett MT-81 spring plate. Works awesome, clutch never better. FYi ... pic of home made tool
    clutch tool.jpg

  10. #8
    WTF???
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    15,273

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    Quote Originally Posted by majette View Post
    still have the tool? care to share it and the steps to doing the spring? i can pay for shipping both ways unless it is an easy tool to fabricate, i have a buddy that cam probably make one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codydawg View Post
    +1

    I could not find a SE spring without the entire clutch kit, but did find a Barrnett MT-81 spring plate. Works awesome, clutch never better. FYi ... pic of home made tool
    clutch tool.jpg
    It would cost more to ship than to make the tool. I don't really remember the steps. They are in the Shop Manual. CodyDawg's picture above gives you a good idea. The white part is just a piece of PVC pipe. I think I used a PVC fitting so I didn't have to buy 10' of pipe. And then a very sturdy metal bar with a hole to compress it.
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

    2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

    1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

  11. #9
    Raised by Wolves
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    I found this video helpful for making the clutch removal tool. When i measured the plates all were in spec, so I only needed a spring. you may find the same with yours.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQnlt8twX3k

  12. #10
    My giant goes with me wherever I go.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mobile, Ala-BAMA
    Posts
    14,014

    Default Re: had a problem and well, how much is a clutch?

    Listen to Cody and MadDog on this one, they've been there.

    As an aside, are you running stock gearing or have you done the Scotty mod or changed pulley sizes? Anytime you go to taller gearing, (The Scotty Mod or larger primary pulley or smaller rear wheel pulley) you are increasing the stress on your clutch. Your clutch will slip more readily with taller gearing.

    Think of pedaling a 10 speed bicycle. In first gear you easily pedal whether going uphill or on level ground. At the same speed in 10th gear, moving slowly, its difficult to push the pedals around. That same principle applies to the way your motorcycle transmission works. Gearing for more top speed stresses the clutch at low speeds and on hills especially.

    I have the Scotty mod. My clutch was slipping badly last week but in preparing for the Dragon ride I switched back to stock gearing. Suddenly my clutch was healed and did great in the mountains.

    Anywhoooo, I love the Scotty Mod and recommend it for highway riding. But in the tights it's a bridge too far for your clutch. Fortunately it's only a 20 minute job to swap pulleys and primary chains so you can have horses for courses.
    "I've never been that scared going that slow."
    Scott Russell, former World SBK Champion, AMA Supersport and Superbike Champion and 5 time winner of the Daytona 200 (Mr. Daytona) commenting on his XR racing experience.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.