XR1200 Owners Group banner

TH2 & Free Spirits Air Box

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  geno 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I began the tuning work with the DPV I used for my Nightster (I had to buy a license for the XR).

I started in Winter and had to stop after 5 autotune sessions only as the weather would not permit extended/fun rides.

Later, I did not resume the autotune work but decided to see what a custom dyno map would give instead, as I was given the opportunity to do so.

So the graphs here are not a stock vs dyno comparison but a DPV ''incomplete'' tune vs dyno.

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

The results are pretty good in my opinion, and I could immediately feel that the dip at low rpm had vanished ! The tech could have squeezed a few more hp without the db-killers but I am not a big fan of the TH II sound (or noise).

Still, the DPV did a fine job. However, not sure at all that I could have been able to flatten the torque curve at low revs, even with a lot more autotune sessions.

To sum up, nothing replaces a good custom tune.
But if you're far away from a dyno, a DPV would produce very acceptable results for a similar amount of money + (lots of) patience and some good DPV literature !

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.