Repairs

Thread: Repairs

Raised by Wolves

Default Repairs

For qll of you who dont know ive been on.the forum for a little while now and have posted frequently in the past. So long story short going through bankruptcy now sp i sold my sport bike and kept my XR. So last time i had a "Offical" shop/dealer fix my bike they gavw me my bike back and it was missing a rear fork bolt. Yeah that shitty. So after arguing with them i rode it home and ended up fishtwiling because idiots in texas and inended up stopping completly and then when stand still droping bike on side. So now im going to try to fix my bike myself.

Current issues:
    Bike womt go past 2nd gear reliably. It will go into 3rd one out of every 20 attempts. And never into 4th or 5th. Im thinjing the gearing messed up when i dropped thr bike but aince it fell on the right side (exhaust side) it didnt make sense to me then again im not a mechanic.

Second problem is electical my left turn signal in front won't work. So im figuring a shorted wire somewhere since all other blinker and lights work.

This is me.askingbfir help and advice im still researching before i start taking the bike apart i got rid of my garage so bike is sitting at a relatives and i would rather have a general idea before i start taking things apart doing discovery work. To the MODS if yall want to move the post as always understood i didnt know where the best place to post this was.

Its still sitting pretty. But im sad i cant go as fast as i would like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

My giant goes with me wherever I go.

Default Re: Repairs

When it rains it pours, eh?

It sounds like you've bent the shifter shaft at best and possibly somehow bent a shifter fork at worst. Are you leaking any oil?

As as far as the turn signal, swap the bulbs from one side to the other before you go into the wiring. Sometimes they can look good but still be bad.

image.jpg
    "I've never been that scared going that slow."
    Scott Russell, former World SBK Champion, AMA Supersport and Superbike Champion and 5 time winner of the Daytona 200 (Mr. Daytona) commenting on his XR racing experience.

Raised by Wolves

Thanks. I will look into both of those Magoo. If it was just the bulb kssue i would be riding everyday but with my gearing messing up im hesitant to really ride far or long.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

WTF???

Bent shifter shaft was the first thing I thought of. But it is really hard to bend them from a right side tip over. Still worth looking at though.
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

HE who dies with the most toys wins

Are you running the stock shift lever assembly or after market. I had to clean and lube, adjust the linkage on my stortz, same problem you were having. That fixed it. Hope it is something simple good luck!!

Rick

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by fwg1961 View Post
    Are you running the stock shift lever assembly or after market. I had to clean and lube, adjust the linkage on my stortz, same problem you were having. That fixed it. Hope it is something simple good luck!!

Rick
    XR Sato Racing Rearset. I can look at the linkage this weekend as well. Working 3 jobs so my weeks are too busy to work on bike. I do know i need tk adjust the set up because im scraping the cover (plate) when I shift.

Connecticut XR

If you need one here is a link to a used shifter shaft on eBay, price is $60.00, I don't know how much a new one goes for.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US .

im hoping things turn around for you, keep hanging in there!
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

Habitual Linestepper

If it is the shaft, it's a pretty easy swap. Can't remember off the top of my head what the factory charged, but I don't think it was much more than $60, it's a shared part with sportsters.

Raised by Wolves

This is why i love forums. Especually this one you guys are so helpful. Im going to look up how to get to the shaft and analyze it ao qhen the weekend hits i can get right into it.

Raised by Wolves

Kid brother got his license and figured he was ready for my bike. I got a call starting with "im so sorry". So now I have to figure out my shifter and replace rearset parts as well as a handlebar. On the upside he will now pay for the repairs and i can teach him. I will update pictures as we work. Hopefully can get the bike broken down tomorrow and see if ita the bent shifter shaft or not. If anyone had any other thoughts of love the help. I should be around more just quit one of my three jobs.

Raised by Wolves

Very tough break SS00. Looks like he's dinged the tank for good measure too. You haven't committed violence against him though so that's a good sign, I think. Best wishes with it, you've got a very distinctive looking XR there b/n the Buell seat and Singh tank. Sorry I can't assist from this distance.

J.

The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed.

I was going to suggest that the shifting issue was just in the set up of your Sato's. And I think it still is. But now that it's been dropped on that side, it could have compounded any previous issues. Good luck
    My Hope is to arrive at my Death Late, in Love, and a Little bit Drunk

WTF???

Ouch
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

Raised by Wolves

I pulled it apart to look at the shifter shaft since the bike needs repairs. The Sato rearset could be the issue but I have to order parts for it now as well so we may see. I'm just learning more about my bike as I take it apart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk