Weaken acceleration and blue smoke - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My giant goes with me wherever I go.

Default Re: Weaken acceleration and blue smoke

Quote Originally Posted by ScB View Post
    I tried to be sarcastic. Usually I would say 12k motors are almost good as new. And about the piston ring thing, I just fitted those old piston rings to my cylinders and they seemed to me a bit loose.
    Of course it's just a guess but normally at 12k mile rings, pistons, and cylinders are barely broken in soooo I'm guessing your rings are fine.

Im still thinking rebuild the heads, this whole problem is likely just the valve seals & guides.

A 1250 kit would still require the heads be rebuilt. If you go that way, a machine shop can do your heads in a day, the 1250 kit itself is a easy do it yourself project, prolly a 4 hour job. I did mine on my back porch in an afternoon
    "I've never been that scared going that slow."
    Scott Russell, former World SBK Champion, AMA Supersport and Superbike Champion and 5 time winner of the Daytona 200 (Mr. Daytona) commenting on his XR racing experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Whistling Dixie!
    On the road again, I just cant wait to get off the road again,,,

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    a multi-radius valve job..
    Funny you should mention that. I was wondering how durable a 3 angle valve job would be for everyday street hammeri,,, I mean street riding would be.

Got access to my own valve grinding machine and seat grinder so all I would need is the stones at the right angles and diameters. I am just a tad scared that cutting the seat and valves down to that thin line where they would actually touch on an aircooled engine and not living its life a 1/4 mile at a time could cause reliability issues.

Anyone know anything about this?

And yes, I have done 3 angle valve jobs. More than a few. And rebuilt more heads than I can possibly remember since I worked with my grandfather at a NAPA machine shop since I was like 7 every summer. More than one customer freaked out when I grabbed the heads out of the back of their vehicle and started tearing them down for the Varsol bath before final cleaning, inspection, seat grinding, valve dressing, and then reassembly. Pappaw let em know I knew what I was doing and never botched one. Except the one time I had the impact set the wrong way and stripped the threads on a sparkplug I was trying to remove.
    You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
    Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Raised by Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post
    Drop back and punt.

http://www.1250kits.com/xlbigborekits.shtml

Send em your heads as well for a full workup on them.

Hard to go wrong doing this and it will put you back on the street with a bigger grin than you had before.

I would drop them an email and tell em what ya got going on those heads, what you are looking for, and ask for a price. Who knows, you may actually have a crack in something. Head, guide, valve, who knows.

Under $700 for pistons, rings, and juggs is hard to beat an spend the extra $40 to have them gap the rings and MATCH the piston & bore, as they say on the website, PERFECTLY.
    Thomas is right on the money here. For under $700 USD, to get a 4% capacity increase plus an improved piston crown profile which enhances combustion, and additionally almost certainly solves your valve guide or ring related oil burning problem, well, sounds like a bargain. Here in Melbourne Australia, I'm looking at $600 Australian, say $450 USD, for a good dyno tune alone.
    I'd get all the suggested work done and have them gap the rings and match the vital parts for sure. Then run the new assembly in per their instructions.
    I think you'll find that's the end of your smoking and oil consumption problems, and gives you a nice little performance bonus as well.

J.

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

HE who dies with the most toys wins

Quote Originally Posted by Sadwingsragn View Post
    Drop back and punt.

http://www.1250kits.com/xlbigborekits.shtml

Send em your heads as well for a full workup on them.

Hard to go wrong doing this and it will put you back on the street with a bigger grin than you had before.

I would drop them an email and tell em what ya got going on those heads, what you are looking for, and ask for a price. Who knows, you may actually have a crack in something. Head, guide, valve, who knows.

Under $700 for pistons, rings, and juggs is hard to beat an spend the extra $40 to have them gap the rings and MATCH the piston & bore, as they say on the website, PERFECTLY.
    Listen to this wise man's wisdom, This for sure the way to go. Do it once and do it right!

Habitual Linestepper

So ended up buying new pair of Wiseco's, honed cylinders to next oversize and reassembled bike together (honestly I'm fine with the current performance (Twinmotorcycles Stage 1 kit). Aaand another problem just arrived.

I was driving with my reassembled motor and had like a bit over 100km in ODO and BAM! - the oil tank exploded on highway.
    Now I'm wondering what did cause this phenomenon? I bough a new oil catch can for breather hoses and it didn't have breather in it. Is oil catch can able to create a counter pressure to my oil tank when it does not have this "breathing" ability?? Holidays are about to start so I would be really helpful if you guys can help me with this issue!
    Last edited by ScB; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:27 PM.

WTF???

So ended up buying new pair of Wiseco's, honed cylinders to next oversize and reassembled bike together (honestly I'm fine with the current performance (Twinmotorcycles Stage 1 kit). Aaand another problem just arrived.

I'm was driving in my reassembled motor and had like a bit over 100km in ODO and BAM! - the oil tank exploded while driving on highway.
    Now I'm wondering what did cause this phenomenon? I bough a new oil catch can for breather hoses and it didn't have breather in it. Is oil catch can able to create a counter pressure to my oil tank when it does not have this "breathing" ability?? Holidays are about to start so I would be really helpful if you guys can help me with this issue!
    Does the catch can have a breather? Is the oil tank an '09, or the newer model?
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

Habitual Linestepper

The new catch does not have a breather at all. And about the latter - I have '08 Harley so I think the model of oil tank is 2008 (?)

Tweaker of Things

The catch can would need a breather to be able to allow oil to flow into it.

And if you routed the breather line from the vent tube of an 08 tank to a closed catch can, you pressurized the oil tank. HD didn't add a separate top vent to the oil tank till 10.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Habitual Linestepper

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    The catch can would need a breather to be able to allow oil to flow into it.

And if you routed the breather line from the vent tube of an 08 tank to a closed catch can, you pressurized the oil tank. HD didn't add a separate top vent to the oil tank till 10.
    I routed vent tubes from cylinder heads to catch can (can wo breather). I didn't reroute anything to/from oil tank.

Tweaker of Things

Sorry. You did say for the breather hoses. My mind just went to the tank breather line, because you had a problem with the oil tank.

But, to clarify, did you route to an unvented catch can? The can wouldnt need a fancy breather, but it would need to be ported to let air flow out, otherwise it makes it harder to equalize top end pressure.

If your catch can has no vent, then all the engine pressure would be breathing out the lower port, which routes to the oil tank. If the oil tank is full, it's hard to vent, so the tank would blow oil till it had an easier path, or if it were weak, crack at a seam.
    Phaedrus

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

XRated

One HD Job shop didn't recommend to port heads because "HD will manufacture head suction channels properly
    Was it Sienfeld that said that ? Funny bastard !

WTF???

The new catch does not have a breather at all. And about the latter - I have '08 Harley so I think the model of oil tank is 2008 (?)
    Get a '10 or newer oil tank, and make sure everything that needs a breather has a breather.
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

1979 Yamaha XS650