1st change - Motul 7100

User Title Here

Default 1st change - Motul 7100

After getting my new to me XR up to around 1200 miles I decided today was the day to swap out the blood. Having had great luck with Motul in other applications I went with their recommended 7100 with a K&N filter. Change couldn't have been easier (love the drain tube!!) and the engine feels great, freer revving than the Dino oil I believe was in there.

Also installed the digital oil temp and level dipstick, works great but it seems to be stuck. Oh well, a problem for another day.

Anyway, I'll let you know how the bike does with the Motul as I pile on some miles. Have some Mobil 1 for the primary.

Kent
    -------------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Master of Space and Time

Default Re: 1st change - Motul 7100

Stick with the Harley stuff for the primary. My 2€ worth.

Connecticut XR

PPP has a point, the harley formula plus has worked well for me, but I've never tried anything different !
    Regards
    Roy

2009 XR 1200
    1983 XR 1000

5. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Raised by Wolves

I change to Motul 7100 20-50 in my Primary, same as in the motor. (after recomend from the Harleydealer) Yesterday i drove 300 km And it was a big differens in smooter gearchange and the clutch is more easy to engange than before .
    Regards : Bjorn Holmgren

Endeavor to Persevere!

Baby Seal oil, the best there ever was;

Why is it the best? Well here's why;
    1. We club them fresh,
    every day, then bottle it up, and ship it out to you, the consumer. That nasty old dinosaur oil has been setting in the ground for hundreds of thousands of years.......yuck. McNasty stuff it is.
    2. Other synthetic is based on that same 400 million year old technology. Do you REALLY want to run old worn out technology in your motorcycle?
    3.We take the time to collect the tears from the mother seals and add it to the freshly squeezed baby seal oil. This insures that you, our beloved customer, has the sweetest oil on earth.

A lot of work? Yes, yes it is, but nothing is too good for you, our customers.

You ride the best, you deserve the best.

Baby Seal oil, the best oil for the finest motorcycles owned by the greatest people, YOU....our customers.

Proudly made in MERICA!
    Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why. Kurt Vonnegut
    Only the dead have seen the end of war; Plato
    We are not here for a long time, we are here for a good time.

User Title Here

Quote Originally Posted by CT XR rider View Post
    PPP has a point, the harley formula plus has worked well for me, but I've never tried anything different !
    I snagged some a Formula+ for the primary while out yesterday! just in case I change my mind.

American Flyer

Not sure if Mobil BSO is rated to work in the primary, but when Harley first introduced their Synthetic to run in everything, I gave it a try but did not even wait until the next oil change to drain the primary and add Formula +. I have occasionally tried other products over the past decade, but keep going back to it.
    Saint

Raised by Wolves

Motul is great but you can find Mobil anywhere is the only reason I use it. I have Mobil on the primary and I will go back to formula plus ASAP. I have a feeling the formula plus is a simple concoction of 30 weight, gl4 gear oil, and a sticky stabilizer. What ever it is it works better that anything I tried. Although spectro is release a sportster Buell primary synthetic oil soon.

User Title Here

Still having great luck with my Motul 7100. Dealer popped some Syn 3 in when I was having some other work done, noticeably slower RPM climb. Swapped it back out to Motul after about 1k.

So many good oil choices out there.

WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by kdemas View Post
    Still having great luck with my Motul 7100. Dealer popped some Syn 3 in when I was having some other work done, noticeably slower RPM climb. Swapped it back out to Motul after about 1k.

How many miles on the bike? Have you tried the Motul in the primary?
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2008 Vance & Hines Race XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200
    2009 HD XR1200 - Yeah, I have two.
    2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 HD Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1988 Ducati 750 Paso
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES

1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by kdemas View Post

I can't believe that there is a "Noticeable" difference in rev rate from H-D Synthetic to Motul Synthetic. Not saying it isn't true, just very hard to believe. But I've been proved wrong once before

Someone needs to do a back to back dyno run. If there is a difference it will show up in Time to Power on the read out.
    Last edited by streettracker; 07-30-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    My Hope is to arrive at my Death Late, in Love, and a Little bit Drunk

User Title Here

5200 miles, haven't tried it in the primary (Formula+).

The improved RPM climb is my perception, certainly not scientific.