XR1200 Owners Group banner

EPIC FOUR!!!!!! Wooooo hooooo!!!!!

Tags
geno
38K views 334 replies 34 participants last post by  BADBEAR 
#1 ·
:nana:

Ok, I did it.Not trying to step on anyones toes, but thought it would be good to get a thread going to discuss, argue, plan an Epic Four.I have missed this event and hope to change all of that this year!!!!

#42 ·
You know you spend too much time on this forum when you can point out 5 or 6 people in a pic that you've never met face-to-face.

Is that Attila on the far left in this one?

If Crazy MD shows up this year, he should have the ONLY blue XROG Polo Shirt that was made.
Yes

#43 ·
Wife is doing good. Put me on the going list!!

#51 ·
Hey Al, you were prolly dreaming about EPIC III and those endless San Diego County twisty roads with no traffic. Or, on the other hand, you might have been dreaming about getting a ticket for the rev-limited speed on that only straight stretch. :clap:

#53 ·
Going:
Geno
MadDogXR
StreetTracker
Huminit
Berkhippie
XR Runner

Maybe:
SuperDave
Macthemechanic

Maybe Not:
JoeP
Magoo

#55 ·
Going:
Geno
MadDogXR
StreetTracker
Huminit
Berkhippie
XR Runner
SuperDave

Maybe:
Macthemechanic

Maybe Not:
JoeP
Magoo​

#58 ·
Going:
Geno
MadDogXR
StreetTracker
Huminit
Berkhippie
XR Runner
SuperDave
Goose

Maybe:
Macthemechanic

Maybe Not:
JoeP
Magoo​

#61 ·
Going:
Geno
MadDogXR
StreetTracker
Huminit
Berkhippie
XR Runner
SuperDave
Goose
CrzyMD
BadBear

Maybe:
Macthemechanic

Maybe Not:
JoeP
Magoo​

#64 ·
So, where is the ride? I need to plan for a place to stay. Mulholland Drive, Topanga Canyon Area? Is there enough roads for a day ride? Or anywhere else in SoCal?

#65 ·
So, where is the ride? I need to plan for a place to stay. Mulholland Drive, Topanga Canyon Area? Is there enough roads for a day ride? Or anywhere else in SoCal?
Yeah, what Tai said. We gots to know.

#72 ·
Well guys, BIG news is it looks like I'm out for EPIC IV :mad:

A couple of years ago I crashed my KTM 625SX on some black ice playing in the dirt and fractured the L4 & L5 vertebrae along with some other damage. It took a while to heal but it's been mostly good since. Well, last week I was swapping the motor in my VW and when it started to slide off the jack I instinctively bent over and picked it up, all 225 lbs. I was a little sore the next day but didn't think much of it. I was then off to Indy for a Hot Rod Trade show and while there I was moving one of our 500lb crates and managed to tweak my back some more. By Sunday when I got back (and the 5 hours of plane ride didn't help) it was pretty inflamed. Dr. says no riding for 8-12 weeks, no lifting, in fact not much of anything. Even a car ride over an hour is painful. So it looks like I'm out.

I talked to Geno about it and he graciously agreed to take over and will probably work with Maddoggy on it. These guys will save the day. THANKS to them!!!!

#76 ·
That sucks, Don.

I'd recommend BC powder ...and maybe a Chiropractor - but they sometimes jack me up more than they help.

Best of luck with the healing.

BTW: Bug looks sweet!
Thanks Joe - that's old Blue the 63 that I've been driving while the motor was out of Ruby Red Dog. Luckily I got it back in before the back went Tango Uniform.

#78 ·
I feel your pain Don. Beleive me, I do. Walking hurts, and sitting down is just a killer. Doc prescribed me meds that the pharmacy filled with oxy codeine. Didn't do anything for the pain, I threw them away. Instead I take 2 arthritis strength tylonol, along with 2 200 mg aspirin. Then lay down. This takes the edge off just enough to get a little relief. Started out would hurt for a week to 10 days. Now it's 3 weeks or more. So, it don't get any better buddy. Good luck.

#83 ·
Damn, Street, not an Epic without you!

Alright guys, being the pioneer of the original Epic ride event (along with the OG's; Street, Geno, Bear,eBrake, Goose and Mad Dog), time for us all to "build" this thing (going to be hard to beat Geno's Epic last year!). We will make it by committee and not make it dependant on one individual. So here goes....

I propose a ride up the Angeles Crest Hwy, starting at La Canada/Flintridge (Hwy 2). It is really supposed to be an epic ride (pun intended). The number of length of twisties on that road are lengendary! ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLf2bjsXNBA).

Plus there is a really cool hangout with a spectacular view overlooking LA when we get to the top (anybody know the name of that place?). We can stop at Newcomb's Ranch on the way up ( http://www.newcombsranch.com/home_iframe.htm ), big biker hangout. Dudes living in the area can give some recommendations on how else to build the route. We could then go thru Wrightwood and go the back way up to Lake Arrowhead and Rim of the World Hwy into Big Bear. Or ????????

It will be central to everyone so that the more the merrier (except for you SD boys). And if we decide to go to Lake Arrowhead, if you want to make it a full day event, go. If not, you can turn down the 15 and head back where you came from (a "bailout option").

So there, I laid down the first part of the route..... Who's in, and where else to go? Step up to the challenge fellow XROGger's! No way, I am going to miss out hanging out with a bunch of law breaking, speeding, crazy bunch of holligans that is the Epic Ride!

And for the rest of you that can't make it or won't, here are some momento pictures:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Epic I

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle helmet Motor vehicle

Epic II

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sky

Epic III

That ought to do it! :p

Berk you are with me!

Keep it going!

Doc :clap:

#84 ·
I'm always in unless my wife's medical issues flair up. Just agree on a route and I'm there.

#86 · (Edited)
Great post Doc. I'm in..............as much I would love to have EPIC Four in my back yard again, we did that last year, so a change in venue is in order. :cool:

BTW, If ya'all want to come to San Diego again, I can prolly find a few roads :) .....................Cindy will be gone Memorial weekend and I can put a few up at my place too. We have a lot of extra space. Just throwing that out as an option.

I will post up my suggestions for Route additions later.

#90 · (Edited)
BTW, If ya'all want to come to San Diego again, I can prolly find a few roads :) .....................Cindy will be gone Memorial weekend and I can put a few up at my place too. We have a lot of extra space. Just throwing that out as an option
Hey Doc, thanks for running with that. Angeles Crest was my thought for the first half of Epic IV. The night in Arrowhead, Big Bear (Back to Chad's!!!??) or even Crestline, then the next day wind back down the east side and head towards San Diego, or at least Ortega to the coast.
Anyway, that is what I was working on before making myself a bit of a Crip. I am hoping that between the lack of physical activity that I am now undertaking, along with some Anti Inflammatory's (vitamin I) that I am taking, there is a SMALL chance that I might be able to hobble along
Ok, for what it is worth, my plans are to put the bike in the back of my truck and cart it down to my home town, Lancaster, on friday and or hook up with Berkhippy and cart or ride down.......Berk?.....?.....?.......
Do the "ride". then maybe head down south and hang/ride/crash at the house with Geno........
I'm getting pretty stoked for this trip and ride!!!!! I have always wanted to ride Angeles Crest,....I used to go to Wrightwood as a lad to snowboard.....
I wrote a whole bunch of other really profound stuff, but didn't post it in time before the site kicked me off.....how do guys get around thru that?

Don, after all the online banter and the like I hope you can make it. I'm looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the jackasses!!! I have much to learn from the old farts!
peace.

#87 ·
Hey Doc, thanks for running with that. Angeles Crest was my thought for the first half of Epic IV. The night in Arrowhead, Big Bear (Back to Chad's!!!??) or even Crestline, then the next day wind back down the east side and head towards San Diego, or at least Ortega to the coast.
Anyway, that is what I was working on before making myself a bit of a Crip. I am hoping that between the lack of physical activity that I am now undertaking, along with some Anti Inflammatory's that I am taking, there is a SMALL chance that I might be able to hobble along

#88 ·
Hey Doc, thanks for running with that. Angeles Crest was my thought for the first half of Epic IV. The night in Arrowhead, Big Bear (Back to Chad's!!!??) or even Crestline, then the next day wind back down the east side and head towards San Diego.....................
Angeles Crest to Big Bear would be a good first day. At that point I will already have clocked 300+ miles. I think a stay overnight in Big Bear would also be good. The Motel 6 in Big Bear had reasonable rates, and Chad's is always a blast. I know we are welcome for dinner at the Cowboy Steak house as well. After the overnighter, I would plan to head down the east side towards San Diego via Beaumont.(as Don has indicated above). From there I will head towards San Diego via Hwy 243 from Banning to Idylwild, to Hwy 79, to Warner Springs then I'm only about 50 miles from home (for a second day total of about 200 miles).

Who is on the list of attendees?

#91 · (Edited)
Oh, also, I have been trying to talk my buddy that has cancer and is a real cool dude and a badass on a motorcycle into coming with me. He REGULARLY just flat out checks out on me on his dyna...( I have learned much about riding motorcycles while behind him ((not in a gay way))...former pro card flat track guy.....to come with me. I hope he can make it and would be welcomed .......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.