battery life span

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    User Title Here

Default battery life span

Just wondering what is the life expectency of our batteries? Mine is dead after 15 months from new and 12000 km.
    The local shop guy who play with Harley said that is normal, they all do that after 15 month??
    I call HD in Bangkok to see if there is any kind of warranty they told me yes 1 month....
    My question is, should I buy a (HD) battery at the equivalent of 200 Euro that will last only 15 months or is there a aftermarket battery of better standard that will last longer?

Dusty

2. Remove Advertisements
    XR1200Owners
    Advertisements

Raised by Wolves

Here in the states we usualy get a better warrenty with after market. Check around
    Mike
    2009 KLX 250 SF Black
    2009 XR 1200 Pewter Grey

Reputation points: -4

Quote Originally Posted by dustryder View Post
    Just wondering what is the life expectency of our batteries? Mine is dead after 15 months from new and 12000 km.
    The local shop guy who play with Harley said that is normal, they all do that after 15 month??
    I call HD in Bangkok to see if there is any kind of warranty they told me yes 1 month....
    My question is, should I buy a (HD) battery at the equivalent of 200 Euro that will last only 15 months or is there a aftermarket battery of better standard that will last longer?

Dusty
    No, this is NOT normal!!!
    Dont bother complaining to the admin.
    I have already deducted 4 points for my stupid comments.

Phaedrus

Roger that. Not normal. These days HD batteries are pretty good quality, and a minimum of 3 years should be expected. I replaced the one in my other HD at about 5 1/2 years - not because it showed any signs of being bad, but because I wanted to replace it before it started to go bad.

The test of the motorcycle is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the motorcycle produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong, until either the motorcycle or your mind is changed.

20 Years ago it was not unusual to have Harley battery's only last a little over a year. For the last 10 years or so, I have had much better life out of them. My's wife's Fat Boy has been on the same battery for 7 years now.
    You must understand that Harley's are probably harder on their battery's than any other motorcycle. The three main killers of batteries are Heat, Vibration, and Lack of full charging. Heat - Harley batteries are always right near a magor heat source, like the XR with it right against the oil tank and right behind the rear exhaust pipe. Vibrations - No explanation necessary. Lack of Charging - If you only take really short rides you will drastically shorten battery life. They need somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes of above idle riding to get back to a full charge when you start the bike. So if all you do are short rides, or at least a majority are that way, get a battery tender and keep it plugged in whenever the bike is parked. You battery will last lots longer.
    As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    – John Glenn

Two Things in life are Infinite - the Universe and Human Stupidity. And I'm not sure about the Universe.

- Albert Einstien

User Title Here

Default battery life span

Most of the time I ride the bike for 10 minutes or so this for approximately 50 to 100k a day when I use it, many starts and stops for sure.
    The temperature is kind of hot down here, this is probably why this battery is shot.
    Anyhow it is kind of frustrating for a bike that price, as opposed to the other bikes at home that I own for years without any battery problem, I ride them the exact same ways.
    Soon as i get a new battery I'll buy a battery tender to be on the safe side.

Thank's for all the answers

Dusty

My giant goes with me wherever I go.

Quote Originally Posted by dustryder View Post
    Most of the time I ride the bike for 10 minutes or so this for approximately 50 to 100k a day when I use it, many starts and stops for sure.
    The temperature is kind of hot down here, this is probably why this battery is shot.
    Anyhow it is kind of frustrating for a bike that price, as opposed to the other bikes at home that I own for years without any battery problem, I ride them the exact same ways.
    Soon as i get a new battery I'll buy a battery tender to be on the safe side.

Thank's for all the answers

Dusty
    Yeah, that kind of usage... short distances, hot weather... is the worst environment for a battery. This is EXACTLY the way my problem started.....hopefully a new battery will fix yours....but if that new battery goes dead in a couple of days, then welcome to my world!

Master of Space and Time

yea thats a big lie! my dad had the factory one in his 99' superglide for 8 years! get yourself a battery tender and plug it in when not in use if it sits for a couple days! will greatly extends its life

User Title Here

Default Battery

Magoo

Hope I won't experience your world, as the official HD dealeship is 700km plus 2 hours ferry away from home.

We are pretty much on our own

On the bright side I really enjoy this bike

Later

Dusty

Metal cannot think, therefore it cannot be held responsible

Quote Originally Posted by streettracker View Post
    20 Years ago it was not unusual to have Harley battery's only last a little over a year. For the last 10 years or so, I have had much better life out of them. My's wife's Fat Boy has been on the same battery for 7 years now.
    You must understand that Harley's are probably harder on their battery's than any other motorcycle. The three main killers of batteries are Heat, Vibration, and Lack of full charging. Heat - Harley batteries are always right near a magor heat source, like the XR with it right against the oil tank and right behind the rear exhaust pipe. Vibrations - No explanation necessary. Lack of Charging - If you only take really short rides you will drastically shorten battery life. They need somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes of above idle riding to get back to a full charge when you start the bike. So if all you do are short rides, or at least a majority are that way, get a battery tender and keep it plugged in whenever the bike is parked. You battery will last lots longer.
    What Don says, is a mirror of my experiences. Remember also, that Harleys have a relatively large, long stroke, V twin engines that require very high starter loads. (The starter motors are nearly 2hp). Multi cylinder engines are a lot easier on the batteries. In my view the current design of H-D batteries is by far the best it's ever been, and I've long since reached the point where I won't fit anything else. With the exception of the high end range of Yuasas (which are more expensive), everything else I've tried has proven to be complete junk. The downside to the current batteries is that if they are allowed to discharge totally, either through some parasitic drain, or if the bike has been left unused for too long, then it is unlikely that they can be recovered.
    Back in the old days, when we had to endure points ignitions, and electric starts were for girls, we could get away with a battery in quite bad condition. With the advent of electronic ignitions, and latterly, EFI, consistent battery voltage is now very important. The rest of the system is now much less tolerent of a tired battery.

Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is reserved for our Mothers! Life is all about ass; You’re either covering it, Laughing it off, Kicking it, Kissing it, Busting it, Trying to get a piece of it

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Yeah, that kind of usage... short distances, hot weather... is the worst environment for a battery. This is EXACTLY the way my problem started.....hopefully a new battery will fix yours....but if that new battery goes dead in a couple of days, then welcome to my world!
    Magoo did you ever get your problem rectified? Just wondering how it was coming along. I hope for your sake its fixed. Pizzas get expensive

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Magoo did you ever get your problem rectified? Just wondering how it was coming along. I hope for your sake its fixed. Pizzas get expensive
    Jeff, thanks for checking ..... I'm still down with no real hope of getting back on the road in the foreseeable future........have replaced starter relay and system relay.....bike will run occasionally.....but even if you get it to start and run it's intermittent.......runs fine a few seconds, then quits, then runs fine again.....voltage regulator (which I don't think is the problem anyway) is back-ordered, should be in this week....

Obviously, since I took it back from the dealer (after they kept it two weeks and had no idea what the problem was), I can't take it back there.........I'll keep pissing around with it.....unless somebody wants to buy a nice, fast orange XR...just needs a little work.......

Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is reserved for our Mothers! Life is all about ass; You’re either covering it, Laughing it off, Kicking it, Kissing it, Busting it, Trying to get a piece of it

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Jeff, thanks for checking ..... I'm still down with no real hope of getting back on the road in the foreseeable future........have replaced starter relay and system relay.....bike will run occasionally.....but even if you get it to start and run it's intermittent.......runs fine a few seconds, then quits, then runs fine again.....voltage regulator (which I don't think is the problem anyway) is back-ordered, should be in this week....

Obviously, since I took it back from the dealer (after they kept it two weeks and had no idea what the problem was), I can't take it back there.........I'll keep pissing around with it.....unless somebody wants to buy a nice, fast orange XR...just needs a little work.......
    I was at my dealer several days ago buying an oil filter and a guy came in with a 2010 road king his was doing the same thing as yours. It was intermittent. They believed it to be the ECM. So am I to believe that yours starts runs,then shuts off, then will start again. This does not sound like a starting/charging problem but more like the ECM is cutting out on you. Talk to Phaed about this one. He is running a ThunderMax which replaces his old ECM he may borrow/give/ sell you his old one as he would not have any need for it anymore. Good luck and I keep my ears open

My giant goes with me wherever I go.

knock on wood....think its fixed........just got back from a quick 50 miles and seems fine........love to Rob@SpeedDemon ....

Jeff...the issue started with the battery going dead when the bike was not running....the battery was fine as long as the bike was running.......dealer was talking about replacing the ECU, that's when I decided it was time to pick up the bike ...

...the bitch about electrical problems is they are like a spouse's infidelity ....you can forgive it, never quite forget it, and live in fear it'll happen again.....(at least that's what my wife says...........

..anyway I'll put some details up about how I fixed it in a little while......right now I'm going riding before it breaks again!!!

Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.

Hey Jeff, I also hope Magoo's problem is rectified. Wait a second, wouldn't that require a rectifier? Just asking. Later,
    Fat Billy, I would like to give thanks to Waffle House, CiCi's Pizza, and any all you can eat buffett for traction. Home of F.F.R. Full Figure Racing.

Tell me the truth and you won't have to remember any lies. M.T.

Its good to have friends

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    knock on wood....think its fixed........just got back from a quick 50 miles and seems fine........love to Rob@SpeedDemon ....

Jeff...the issue started with the battery going dead when the bike was not running....the battery was fine as long as the bike was running.......dealer was talking about replacing the ECU, that's when I decided it was time to pick up the bike ...

...the bitch about electrical problems is they are like a spouse's infidelity ....you can forgive it, never quite forget it, and live in fear it'll happen again.....(at least that's what my wife says...........

..anyway I'll put some details up about how I fixed it in a little while......right now I'm going riding before it breaks again!!!
    Magoo, hopefully you can see fit to forgive her and move on......over

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fraser View Post
    Magoo, hopefully you can see fit to forgive her and move on......over

www.jp2code.net

For the most part, my bike starts right up. I get to thinking how much simpler it would be (and the weight I'd save) if I could convert my jewel over to a kick-start.

Then, I'll have one of those days where it "almost but does not" crank on the first turn. That's when my jewel becomes a beast and I wished I had quiet pipes ...and a secluded spot to keep winding on the starter.

On those rare occasions it doesn't crank of the first spin, either:
    1. some fancy "fuel squirt" reservoir empties on the first crank attempt and does not refill on its own, or
    2. the cylinders flood with too much fuel, so I just sit for a moment or two until it evaporates
    My solution to the first issue is to twist the throttle wide open and try again; however, this can result in the flooded cylinders in the second issue.

If others get this, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong with my technique....
    2009 XR1200
    A Private Message is fine,
    Private Message
    but I reply faster to e-mail.

WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrdyke View Post
    No, this is NOT normal!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Roger that. Not normal. These days HD batteries are pretty good quality, and a minimum of 3 years should be expected. I replaced the one in my other HD at about 5 1/2 years - not because it showed any signs of being bad, but because I wanted to replace it before it started to go bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by streettracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98acrsilver View Post
    yea thats a big lie! my dad had the factory one in his 99' superglide for 8 years! get yourself a battery tender and plug it in when not in use if it sits for a couple days! will greatly extends its life
    My dealer says the Sportster batteries suck. He told me this when he was replacing mine.
    Asphalt racing is like a chess match. Dirt track racing is like a cage fight!
    Current Bikes:
    2009 H-D XR1200
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    2012 H-D Road Glide Ultra

2006 Kawasaki ZG1000
    1996 ATK 605 DSES
    1985 Suzuki GS700ES
    1979 Yamaha XS650
    1975 Suzuki GT250
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2002 Yamaha YZ426F

www.jp2code.net

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogXR View Post
    My dealer says the Sportster batteries suck. He told me this when he was replacing mine.
    Hmmm... I'm seeing a pattern to your XR, and it smells like a lemon.
    2009 XR1200
    A Private Message is fine,
    Private Message
    but I reply faster to e-mail.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast