XR1200 Owners Group banner

Harley-Davidson Discontinuing Road Glide and Other Models for 2014 - Motorcycle.com News

12K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  Pilot 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I bet they won't change the looks too much. Many people (including myself) think it is one of the best looking Harley's.

"reduce product overlap" If they really do this, they will only have 4 models left. :whistling:

#3 ·
LMAO, the article says they are dropping the XR1200X in Model Year 2014.

".............In the case of the XR1200X, Blackline and Electra Glide Classic, Harely-Davidson decided to give them the ax after reviewing sales trends................."

#7 ·
Harley Davidson

I would say there is a good chance of Harley being in financial trouble again. They have told one of our mainstay Harley dealers here in Auckland that they have to dump their affliation with Triumph ( they sell Harley and Triumph ) and relocate ( as they didn't like the fact that the workshop was located underneath the main showroom ). The owner has been dedicated to Harley for years and his shop is rated one of the best dealers in the country. He believes that it will cost him $200k to relocate. I was in the other day and all the Triumph models were gone ( stored away somewhere) corporate arrogance or a Company that is in strife?

#27 ·
I would say there is a good chance of Harley being in financial trouble again. They have told one of our mainstay Harley dealers here in Auckland that they have to dump their affliation with Triumph ( they sell Harley and Triumph ) and relocate ( as they didn't like the fact that the workshop was located underneath the main showroom ). The owner has been dedicated to Harley for years and his shop is rated one of the best dealers in the country. He believes that it will cost him $200k to relocate. I was in the other day and all the Triumph models were gone ( stored away somewhere) corporate arrogance or a Company that is in strife?

I don't know...

Read this...
http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2013...ebounds-as-wall-street-goes-hog-wild.htm?nl=1

On the other hand, I just found out that the HD dealer in Ft Lauderdale closed it's doors...

#11 ·
The new Indians (New for what the 5th time now) are not really a threat to Harley Davidson, with a price range of $26,500 to $37,500

With H-D big twins ranging from $13,100 to $21,800 it is a different customer base. They are really more competition for the CVO bikes which are limited production at $26,500 to $36,500. A guy who is going to buy A Dyna or a Softail, or even an Electra Glide is Not going to drop double the money on an Indian.

#12 ·
The new Indians (New for what the 5th time now) are not really a threat to Harley Davidson, with a price range of $26,500 to $37,500

With H-D big twins ranging from $13,100 to $21,800 it is a different customer base. They are really more competition for the CVO bikes which are limited production at $26,500 to $36,500. A guy who is going to buy A Dyna or a Softail, or even an Electra Glide is Not going to drop double the money on an Indian.
:pinch: WHAT! Nothing at a lower price? You sure? I figured they would have done their homework better than that.

I got an idea for their new slogan; Indian, we going tits up...............................again.

#16 ·
Numbers man, numbers. Let's see them.

#20 ·
Hmmmmmmmmm

Very interesting.

I'm guessing no.

#25 ·
Emissions,Emissions even Harley are going to have to do a BMW and water cool one of these days,the BM is only part water cooled with little rads.Do they want to be a player or sit on there laurels with an ageing fan base?They seem to dip there feet in the water then bottle it.The V Rod and the XR are perfect examples.Surely there is something else they can do with the V Rod engine they have loads of names for there other bikes saying they are completely different models.

Sam

#26 ·
Maddog,

Don't worry about Street, he just has a sense of ascetics that froze while Nixon was in office. I did get a laugh out the "cold states like Roadglides" line. I'm pretty sure it gets cold in every state in the Union, even Hawaii. I translate that line as "posers that don't ride unless the temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees and there is a 100% guaranty of sunshine prefer the Batwing over the Shark Nose". No, wait, that is 80% of Harley riders...

Also note most of the Batwings and the Road Kings are also being dropped.

Seriously, I'm with the crowd that thinks this means the partly water cooled big twin is coming. BTW, I wonder what the posers, sorry, Batwing riders will do when you can't get a 'Glide without lowers? They have to hide the radiators somewhere and putting them in a fork mounted fairing would be a really bad idea. It will be really interesting to see what they do with the Road King.

It will be fun to see how this goes.

Goose

#29 ·
Yep, I'm one of those Batwing Posers. After all I got rid of my '86 Electra Glide "BatWing" after a mere 175,000 miles, sold my first Street Glide a little after a year with 27,500 miles on it and the second one after two years with only 20,000 (mainly because I quit riding it after getting the XR)

As for the Styling, the Road Glide fairing was just a rehash of the old Tour Glide which came out in 1979, so that must be what you mean by frozen aesthetics (and check your spelling on that one Goose). maybe you're right, I might just be a Luddite :whistling:

Most Batwings being dropped? Where did you get that? They only dropped the most basic version of the Electra Glide, keeping the Street Glide, Electra Glide Ultra and Electra Glide Limited, while dropping ANYTHING with the "Shark Nose" - might want to re think that one.

And by Cold States you know what I meant by that, the states that regularly see freezing type temperatures, and a warm day is 40°

Sorry but by no account is the Shark Nose ever going to win a styling award.

#31 ·
HD is fuken nutz, to many models all look the same. I mean really Road King , Road King Classic put a dam bat wing on her and change the seat and ya got a Street Glide, put a stationary dual head light fairing on and ya got a Road Glide. If ya ask me maybe they should sell seats and fairings as options. Some hidden agenda on the Obama crew to ruin a legend

#44 ·
I don't care if it goes faster. Just pull harder and across a broader range. VRod speed but maybe the pull of their 110s. Those things have like 120lbs of torque at the crank. The VRod doesn't even have 85 and it kicks in quite late but I guess that's why it has more ponies.... I guess I just want a VMax disguised as a VRod haha!

#45 ·
That harder pull that you want is accelleration. And the only way to get accelleration is with HP. Yes, you have to have the torque in order to get the accelleration down low where you want it, but it is still the HP pulling your arms out of their sockets.

Torque = Good

Torque w/o HP = Worthless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.